I’m one of those girls who’s VERY conscious about my underarms. Yet, who can blame me?
Filipinos (perhaps spurred on by advertising) put such a premium on having white and hair-free underarms especially for women. I remember a guy telling me once that when a girl raises her hand in class, his eyes are immediately drawn her armpits. If a girl has dark and hairy underarms, it doesn’t even matter if her face is pretty. Those are enough to turn him off.
Also, admit it, even girls check out other girls’ underarms too. I, for one, remember making fun of someone with dark pits. That’s mean, I know. However, the checking out seems to be automatic. Our eyes are just unconsciously drawn to exposed underarms then our brain immediately makes judgments about what we see.
The problem is, I don’t have perfect arm pits! Due to plucking and waxing, I noticed how my underarms have become darker. Even my brothers, mom, and dad have commented on it. It’s horrible when other people point it out too! It’s not like I need more people commenting about it! So I’ve been panicking about how to whiten it again because I want to wear my sleeveless clothes and be confident enough to raise my hands while doing so. I most definitely don’t want to be the object of people’s jokes!
That’s why when I heard about Nivea’s Extra Whitening deodorant, I decided to give it a try. I’m desperate enough to try anything so why not try something from a brand I actually trust?
Before going into the benefits of the product, I researched about what causes skin discoloration to give me an idea about the root of the problem. Most studies say that it’s the cause of skin inflammation due to skin trauma, blemishes, chronic friction, and even bug bites. All these irritate the skin and once the inflammation is resolved, what is left is what they call Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH), which in layman’s terms is darker underarms.
Given this, how does it actually help us have whiter underarms? Here’s what they say:
NIVEA Extra Whitening deodorant with 2x Licorice Extracts, Witch Hazel and Avocado helps to boost skin’s self-recovery and whiten dark and damaged skin to give you visibly smoother and fairer underarms in just 2 weeks.
I dug deeper and also researched about the ingredients:
1. LICORICE EXTRACTS – Licorice has many uses outside of skin care but for our purpose, it was recognized by PubMeb.gov as one of the most promising herb for treating skin problems that involve discoloration or hyper pigmentation.
2. WITCH HAZEL – Witch hazel is best known as an astringent. Because it can help reduce inflammation, it’s very helpful in curing spots and soothing razor burns. It’s also noted to hasten skin healing, hence it’s use to cure small cuts.
3. AVOCADO – Avocado is a natural moisturizer. It contains loads of healthy fats and phytonutrients that help soothe and heal the skin.
Now for my first hand experience, here’s what I’ve noticed after using the product for almost two weeks:
1. First thing I’ve noticed was the bumps on my skin caused by plucking have disappeared. No more chicken skin for me.
2. There’s still a slight discoloration on both my underarms but they are lighter than before. I’m hoping that a month of using the product will eventually get rid of these.
3. It’s true when they say that the product lasts for 48 hours! I tested it out over the long weekend just so I can prove it. Wore my deodorant for work on Friday then didn’t reapply on Saturday. By Sunday morning, my armpits still smelled all right. 🙂
4. I prefer the roll-on variant because I find that the stick is not as effective and the spray gets all over the place! 🙂
Whew! I’ve written quite a long post. Obviously, I’ve got a lot to say about this topic because it’s close to my heart. 🙂
Lastly, I’ll leave you guys with these relevant information about the product variants and prices:
Extra Whitening Roll-On 25 ml – Php 50.00
Extra Whitening Roll-On 50ml – Php 89.00
Extra Whitening Stick 40ml – Php 155.00
Extra Whitening Spray 150ml – Php 170.00
Don’t forget to add them too on Facebook and Twitter and join the Fun Fearless and Fair contest to get the chance to win Nivea products:
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NIVEAPhilippines